The Peaceful Sea Sangha is led by Edward Espe Brown, a Soto Zen
Edward was ordained in 1971 by Shunryu Suzuki Roshi, who
gave him the Dharma name Jusan Kainei, which means "Longevity Mountain,
Edward has been practicing Zen since 1965 and also
has done extensive vipassana practice, yoga, and chi gung. He leads
regular sitting groups and meditation retreats in Northern
California and offers workshops in the U.S. and internationally on a
variety of subjects, including cooking, handwriting change, and
Mindfulness Touch. Edward is an accomplished chef, who helped found Greens
Restaurant in San Francisco and worked with Deborah Madison in writing The Greens Cookbook. Edward's other books include The Tassajara
Bread Book, Tassajara Cooking, The Tassajara Recipe Book, and
Tomato Blessings and Radish Teachings. He also edited
Not Always So, a collection of Suzuki Roshi's lectures. In 2007, Edward
was the subject of a critically acclaimed feature-length
documentary film entitled How to Cook Your Life, directed by Doris Dörrie.
- The Spring 2016 issue of Buddhadharma magazine includes an article by Edward. You can read it on the How to Cook Your Life
- New SoundCloud Channel. Audio dharma will now be hosted on Edward's SoundCloud Channel; we will continue working to add
back access to all the talks that used to be on this site, and will add new ones as they are available--the
latest is from Edward's March 5, 2016 one-day sitting at Green
Gulch Farm. Please visit the Audio Dharma page and check
- Calendar Update. Dates added for Europe (May - June 2016), as well as
a retreat in August at Tassajara with Edward, Ruth Ozeki and Kaz Tanahashi.
See the Calendar
page for details.
- Edward has a new book out from Missing Links Press.
By All Means: A Zen Cautionary Tale includes
illustrations by Margot Koch. Details and a link to the
publisher's flyer are on the How to Cook Your Life
page. A review is now available on the San Francisco Zen Center
blog. You can order it from the Marketplace
page or ask for it in your local bookstore.
- Donate via PayPal. You can use a credit card to make a tax deductible donation to
Peaceful Sea Sangha on the Audio Dharma page. Your support is greatly appreciated.
Edward Espe Brown